38 Funny Yoruba Proverbs That Will Make You Laugh And Wise
1. The consumption of sacrificial offerings will not kill the vulture.
2. Pikin mumu, them say make he no die, watin go kill am?
3. Where you will sit when you are old shows where you stood in youth.
4. You are described as the child of the elephant that swallows coconuts, and you rejoice; are you the one who swallows coconuts?
5. frown on the face of the goat will not stop it from being taken to the market
6. The chicken eats corn, drinks water, even swallows small pebbles, and yet complains that it lacks teeth; does the goat that has teeth swallow steel?
7. The person who forgives gains a victory in the dispute.
8. A long foreseen war does not kill a cripple.
9. There is no medicine to cure hatred.
10. It is only the rat that is ready to meet its ancestors that dances in the front of the cat.
11. Everybody like mumu but nobody wan call am pikin
12. Ibadan people do not run from war; what they say is, We will fall back a little.
13. Na because head no dey na im make knee wear cap.
14. There is no medicine against old age.
15. That which a dog sees and barks at is nothing compared to what the sheep contemplates in silence.
16. One spreads a mat with the right hand while removing one’s pants with the left hand; yet the woman complains that one is not helping her quest for a child.
17. When your neighbor’s horse falls into a pit, you should not rejoice at it, for your own children may fall into it too.
18. If your only tool is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail.
19. If one sees the corpse of a wicked person on the ground and one kicks it, there are then two wicked people.
20. An elephant which kills a rat is not a hero.
21. When the brothers fight to the death, a stranger inherits their father’s estate.
22. A person with too much ambition cannot sleep in peace.
23. A stone thrown in anger does not kill a bird.
24. If while climbing a tree you insist on going beyond the top, the earth will be waiting for you.
25. We speak in proverbs; he who is intelligent will understand.
26. It is not only giants that do great things.
27. He who cannot dance will say, “The drum is bad!”
28. The eunuch cannot make fun of the person with gonorrhea.
29. A man who takes away another man’s freedom is a prisoner of hatred.
30. Those who respect the elderly pave their own road toward success.
31. No person is born great; great people become great when others are sleeping.
32. Being happy is better than being king.
33. If one takes three years to prepare for one’s madness, when will one start biting people?
34. One does not count a pregnancy as a child already delivered.
35. In the moment of crisis, the wise build bridges and foolish build dams.
36. If you want to walk fast, walk alone; if you want to walk far, walk with others.
37. The favor one does a chicken is not for naught; in due course, it will make a stew to delight one’s mouth.
38. It is a journey one does not want to make that one consults the oracle about.
Please, comment, like, and share with others.