In recent years, we have seen the influx of African print clothing in mainstream fashion. Designers like Steve Madden, Forever21, Zara and H&M classify this category of clothing as ethnic fashion. As a fashionista with deep African roots from Nigeria, West Africa, adorning these uniquely authentic pieces is almost like a second nature.
Most of my childhood Sunday service clothes were made out of Ankara fabric. Other equally breathtaking African print fabrics include Kente, Kitenge, Aso Oke, Dashiki, and Gele. The patterns and specially selected colors of these fabric hold significant meanings to the area where they originate from.
I have an immerse love and admiration for African print pieces. After moving thousands of miles away from Nigeria, my nostalgia for traditional African pieces became more intense. Luckily, I have a sister who designs, hand-makes, and occasionally mails African clothing to me like this Aso Oke fringe skirt.
I have rounded up over 50 best African print dresses and where to get them. Because these pieces are handmade, no two pieces are exactly the same. In fact, many of the designers only have a limited supply of a style in a particular fabric. Sometimes, they offer the same style in various fabric choices.
I will update this list often to replace sold out styles with newer available traditional dresses. Etsy is my go to store for beautifully crafted African print outfits. These one-of-a-kind pieces are made to order so they tend to cost more and last-longer than the typical mass-produced outfits.
Without further ado and in no particular order, here are my top 50+ best African print dresses (as well as where to get them).
1. Ankara Rebekah dress by Gitas Portal – I love the high-low details of this Ankara summer dress. The deep V neck and sleeveless style makes super chic and perfect this time of the year.
2. The Jessica Dress by Nasbstitches- I can’t get over the pink and green patterns of this super wax print. It is uber chic and vibrant.
3. Vintage Nki Maxi Dress by Rahyma – There is so much about this maxi dress that screams chic, retro-glam. The collared neckline and unique sleeve-length combined with vivid colors invigorates the soul!
4. The Podot~Quistt Elegant Dress for Mother and Daughter by Quistt – Mommy and I? Yes please! The 50’s take on this Vlisco Dutch Java wax print for mother and daughter is giving me a case of baby fever!
5. Resa Long Sleeve Oversized Collar Ankara Print Spring Dress/Coat by YetundeSarumi – This Ankara print outfit double serves as a lightweight coat and a dress.
6. The Podot~Quistt Elegant Dress by Quistt – Everything about this dress is so elegant. It’s all in the details.
Take this FREE course and launch a kick-ass fashion blog in less than 5 days. Plus get updates on blogging resources specifically for fashion bloggers.
7. African Wax Print Genuine Patchwork Midi Dress by WithFlare – I’ve always wanted a patchwork dress. But one made of colorful African print fabric and a bow is everything and then some!
8. Ankara Print Buba Dress by Boriah Clothiers – Now where do I start with this dress? The rhinestone details and the loose-fit design makes this dress perfect for a casual or dressed up occasion.
9. African Print Midi Cape Dress by Zizibespoke – Capes have been hot for a while now. This 100% cotton African print dress with removable cape is a perfect blend of mainstream influence on ethnic wears.
10. African cape maxi dress by TrueFond – If capes are up your alley (I personally love capes!), this dress is sure to turn heads.
11. Blossom High -Low blouse by Rahyma – So much sexiness in one outfit. The high-low design and the unique cut on the shoulders make it fascinating.
12. The Maxi Infinity Dress by Ofuure – You can wear this dress in more than 6 different ways. Six dresses for the price of one!
13. Army green Ankara Dress by Essie African Print – The Ankara saga continues with this ridiculously beautiful African print maxi dress complete with pockets and headwrap.
14. African Print Fit and Fit Gored Dress by Nanayah Studio – Can’t go wrong with a fit and flare dress. I love how different fabrics were combined in such a way that this dress looks like it was made from from fabric. Ingenious!
15. Mixed Print Record Maxi Dress by Zizibespoke – I see myself wearing this beautiful maxi dress with a simple bar of ballet flats and minimal jewelry. Effortless chic!
16. The Diana Maxi Dress by Demestik – The cut of this V neck maxi dress and beautiful sash makes me crave this dress like chocolate. I’ll have it please!
17. S T E L L A Remix7 Dress by LiLiCreations – Let’s have a moment of silence for stunning piece of art! The retro-inspired pattern and boat neck makes this 1950’s dress oh so stunning. And it comes with a peticoat too!
18. Grace cap sleeve maxi dress by Solomek – Want to feel like a tall drink? This dress with its high slit will give you the illusion of have long legs. The sleeveless pattern and v neck also adds more depth to the deisgn.
19. African print dinner dress by House of Izzi – African print, cut out details, peplum and flare? Yes, yes, yes!!!! I just need to find a dinner party to go to ?
20. Ankara print shift dress by Chenburkettny – Nothing better than this easy to wear pull on dress and the deep v neck for some sexiness.
21. African dress by TrueFond- This high-slit dress unique structural neck design is definitely a modern a spin on African print.
22. Mili Padded- Bustier Dress by Rahyma – Want to wow the crowd at your next event? Throw on this tube dress! And you can totally dress it down with a pair of flats for a casual look.
23. Zimnandi Midi Dashiki Print Dress by Kahaari – This I can wear all
day week. I love the off-shoulder design and the full skirt.
24. African Shirt Dress by TrueFond – Drooling over the high-low details of this shirt dress. Uber unique!
25. Michelle O. Dress by LiLiCreations – This full midi dress is giving me so much life. The full bottom makes it stand out even more.
26. Mixed African Print Midi Dress by Zizibespoke – Sorry, not sorry. I can’t get over the awesomeness of this mixed African print sleeved dress.
27. Dutch Wax Patchwork High Low Dress by WithFlare – This sweetheart bodice, patchwork dress is a work of art. Not many patchwork pieces end up looking this stunning. This designer got talent!
28. Off-shoulder Ankara Cape Dress by Africandressshop – Here comes the damsel! The subtle infusion of ankara fabric makes it so tasteful.
29. Alice-in-wonderland dress by Gitas Portal – Sweet, edgy, playful go well with this Alice in Wonderland dress. The pleated details and tie-front bow makes it more so appealing.
30. Green and Yellow Ankara Dress by BrownSkinGirl Couture – Green and yellow complement each other so well and this dress will get you tons of compliments. The boatneck neckline and knee length makes it perfect for work and play.
31. Halter Neck Ankara Maxi Dress by Africandressshop – This ankara print maxi dress looks so sophisticated.
32. High-Low Dress with Waist Belt by MyAnkaraLove – Elegant, chic, and the perfect marriage between African print and mainstream style. This dress will steal the show.
33. Kente Evening Dress by Africandressshop – Endowed with what looks like a double cape: a small cape around the neck and voluminous flare bottom. Let’s call this the goddess dress.
34. Sada Kente Print Gown by AdinkraExpo – Go to the max with this long sleeve maxi dress. Easily dress down this dress with a pair of stylish ballet flats.
35. Magnificent Reversible Patchwork One Shoulder Maxi Dress by WithFlare – Emm yes this reversible one-shoulder dress is beyond magnificent. So much love (i.e. African print) in one product.
36. The Gugu Dress by Demestik – A little bit conservative, very stylish with a hint of 80’s flare. The wrap around design and pockets make this dress so enticing!
37. Riley-Skater Dress by Melange Mode – This skater dress is short and sweet. You’ll probably never run out of different ways to rock this dress.
38. Mishelle Peplum Midi Dress by Yetunde Sarumi – Peplum midi dresses are one of my favorite styles of dresses. Not only is the peplum cut super trendy, it also creates an illusion of a slender waistline.
39. Mixed Print Shimmi Swing Dress by Zizibespoke – Can’t even begin to tell you how stylish this outfit is. This particular print is an old classic. But mixed together with a sprinkle of lace fabric makes it badass.
40. Nandi African Print Dress by NiajoyCreations – If tube tops appeal to you, this African print midi dress with full flare bottom is made for you.
41. Dazzle Alice-in-wonderland dress by Gita’s Portal – In awe of the chicness of this rather simple dress. The fit, colors, and pattern make it look preppy and sexy.
42. African print mini infinity dress by Ofuure – Here’s another fun infinity dress in midi length.
43. Yaayaa Kente Print Gown by AdinkraExpo – This list cannot be complete without a beautiful kente dress.
44. Cozy Wrap Dress by Rahyma – One of the many reasons I love African print is because of the endless ways a simple fabric can be transformed into an exquisite outfit.
45. Jackie O Dress by Chenburkettny – You will dazzle in this super chic flared dress. The print and style is classic, conservative, and fashionable!
46. NuVu off shoulder dress by HouseOfIzzi – Gotta love this off shoulder dress. The ruffled peplum shoulder makes it uber chic.
47. Disco Floor Length Dress by Zizibespoke – What is there not to love about this Ankara maxi dress? The very ethnic print and off-shoulder style adds a tasteful flavor to the ensemble.
48. The Li Li Afro Belle Dress by LiLiCreations – This is one attractive African print dress. The gathering at waist and built-in petticoat makes this dress perfect for formal occasions.
49. Classic Maxi Dress by Veroex Shop – This pretty maxi dress will make a lovely choice for those days when you want to set your heels aside but still look dressy. The style of the dress also accentuates the waistline.
50. The Diane Wrap Dress by Demestik – This dress literally blurs the line between African print and contemporary fabric. Definitely a subtle way to infuse ethnic pieces into your wardrobe.
51. The efe long dress by Ofuure – This is an all-round beautiful long-sleeve maxi dress. It is both conservative and stylish.
52. Nana Lace Dress by BurgundybyPK – An impeccable mixture of African print and lace makes this long sleeve dress with gathered skirt irresistible.
53. African Clothing Maxi Dress by Veroexshop – This fashionable long-sleeve dress will make an incredible summer/fall dress.
54. Oh Ruby Dress by Gitas Portal – This stunning tie-front dress is elegant with a 50’s flare! Wear it cinched at the waist or free-slowing. I love it!